(1) The University facilitates the establishment of traineeships to support the learning and developing of skills through a combination of hands-on experience and formal training involving a training contract, paid employment and a training plan.
(2) Traineeships involve a combined commitment from the University area establishing the traineeship, the formal Registered Training Organisation and the appointed trainee. Traineeships are regulated through the Department of Education and Training and administered by Human Resource Services Directorate.
Salary (normally around $14 500pa)
Productivity Superannuation - 9% of salary
Other costs: equipment, supervision, on-the-job training, time off to attend formal training, leave, monitor training progress.
Training costs (e.g. training fees, books etc.)
Incentive payments (eligibility will have to be determined for each trainee prior to appointment commencing).
For example only:
Level 2 — Commencement $1 375
Level 3 — Commencement (or if progressing from Level 2) - $1375; Completion $1 650
(No incentive monies are paid once Level 3 is completed)
Payroll tax rebate
(3) Trainees must not replace normal staff (i.e. permanent, temporary or casual) but must be supernumerary to normal staffing requirements.
(4) Trainees are temporary employees of the University and as such are covered by the same awards and agreements as other General staff.
(5) Traineeship documents can only be signed on behalf of the University by Personnel Services.
(6) Formal training is provided by the Registered Training Organisation in consultation with the trainee and nominated supervisor at the University. The core training may be supplemented by additional appropriate courses, either internal or external, with the cost of these being met by the School/Directorate.
(7) Supervisors must allow trainees appropriate time on a regular basis to complete the formal/written course work component of the training during normal work hours. Provision should be made for this to be undertaken removed from the normal office environment.
(8) In conjunction with the Registered Training Authority Supervisors are responsible for overseeing the formal course work component of the traineeship: this includes satisfactory progression throughout the period of the traineeship and completion within the traineeship period.
(9) Supervisors must advise Personnel Services as soon as possible of any problems in relation to the Trainee or Traineeship, including any periods of non-attendance and unsatisfactory progress with formal course work.
(10) No verbal offer of employment is to be made or commencement of the trainee, until approval of the nominated trainee is confirmed and a letter of offer is prepared by Personnel Services.
(11) School/Directorate contact Personnel Services to discuss appropriate framework and effective supervision for establishing traineeships in their area.
(12) School/Directorate contact a local employment agency (addresses and contact numbers listed below). The agency will provide information package, names of possible candidates and will arrange informal interviews of those applicants selected by UNE.
(13) Informal interviews held by University representatives (normally one or two people). As this is an informal interview, no written selection report is required.
(14) School/Directorate to provide to Personnel Services (Classification /Recruitment) the following documentation in order to determine eligibility of trainee for traineeship and funding:
(15) Completed and signed Application for Employment of Trainee Form 8.18a
(16) Nominated trainee's application and resume.
(17) Position statement: (Generic position statements are available from Personnel Services. These may be amended to meet the needs of each traineeship).
(18) 8.18.15 School/Directorates should be aware that if a person has previously completed a Level 3 certificate in any field, they may not be approved for the proposed traineeship.
(19) 8.18.16 A letter of offer will be prepared by Personnel Services who will also contact the Department of Education and Training to arrange signing of traineeship contract documents. The Department of Education and Training will contact the nominated Supervisor to meet with the Training Coordinator.
(20) 8.18.17 Any incentive entitlements will be claimed by Personnel Services and credited to an account nominated by the School/Directorate.