This is the current version of this document. You can provide feedback on this policy to the document author - refer to the Status and Details on the document's navigation bar.
Section 1 - Scope
(1) The UNE Colleges Eviction Procedures apply to all Residents of University Colleges to whom an official offer to reside in a College has been made and who has accepted the terms of the UNE Residential System Accommodation Agreement.
(2) The University has adopted procedures to ensure that if a Resident fails to the outstanding fees under the UNE Residential System Accommodation Agreement the recovery and eviction process that may be taken by the University against the Resident.
(3) In these Procedures a reference to:
Top of Page
- College Fee Schedule means the fee schedule for a College setting out fees and Instalment Due Dates for payment by Residents.
- Eviction Notification Letter (Appendix A)
- Eviction Notice for Non-Payment of Rent (Annexure B)
- Head/Dean of College is the Master, Principal, Head, or Dean of a College.
- Instalment Due Date as the due date specified in the Residential Principal Dates and relevant College Fee Schedule.
- Repayment Plan is a plan to repay the outstanding fees by instalments agreed to in writing by the University and the Resident.
- Resident is a person who has been made an official offer to reside in the College and has accepted the terms of the UNE Residential System Accommodation Agreement.
- Supervisor of Accounts Receivable is responsible for taking the recovery and eviction action against the Resident.
- UNE Colleges Debtor Procedures is linked to these Procedures.
Section 2 - Procedures
(4) The UNE Colleges Eviction Procedures apply if a Resident defaults for any of the following reasons:
- When a Resident fails to pay the last two instalments in a Repayment Plan, that is, the Resident is two instalments in arrears.
- If at the end of each trimester, a Resident is more than one instalment in arrears.
- When a Resident fails to meet the conditions for readmission as a result of show cause: financial.
(5) In consultation with the Head/Dean of College the recovery and eviction process will be commenced against a Resident for default for any of the reasons referred to in (4) above as follows:
- An Eviction Notification Letter (Appendix A) will be emailed to the Resident and a hard copy delivered to the Resident's room requiring the resident to pay the outstanding fees by the final due date.
- The Head/Dean of College or nominee will follow up with the Resident to confirm receipt of the letter.
- The Supervisor of Accounts Receivable will be notified by the Head/Dean of College of the action that may be taken.
- International Services & Compliance Manager or nominee will be notified if the eviction process involves an International Student.
- The International Office will provide feedback and assistance in the recovery and eviction process as requested by the Head/Dean of College or the Supervisor of Accounts Receivable.
- If the Resident has failed to pay the outstanding fees by the final due date and to meet any other conditions set out in the Eviction Notification Letter, the Head/Dean of College or nominee, will contact the Resident to confirm that they will be evicted. This will take place one day prior to the final due date.
- Day of eviction: An Eviction Notice for Non-Payment of Rent (Annexure B) will be emailed to the Resident and delivered to the Resident's room notifying the Resident that they will be given up to noon to make payment of the outstanding fees. Note: if paid by electronic means, a receipt of payment must be provided to the Head/Dean of College by noon.
- The College will arrange with Safety & Security to be on standby to assist with the eviction. If at noon, the Resident has not paid the outstanding fees and met the conditions, the Head/Dean of College or nominee, will be accompanied by a Safety & Security Officer to ensure the Resident departs from the College.