(1) The Innovation and Development Committee is established as a Committee of Council, and the Committee is delegated a number of Council functions in relation to the University.
(2) The establishment of this Committee and the delegation of Council powers to it are actions authorised under Section 17 of the UNE Act. The provisions of this document take effect as a Council Rule made under Section 29 of the UNE Act.
(3) The University is committed to continuous improvement and innovation in its teaching, research, student experience and business operations consistent with the University's Strategic Plan. This Committee oversees the development and evaluation of new initiatives directed at this continuous improvement and innovation. It is a forward-looking committee concerned with ensuring that the University is a leader in innovation in each of these areas (note: the focus of this Committee is innovation and development of initiatives; implementation is a matter for the Council/other Committees).
(4) The members of the Committee are as follows:
(5) Official attendees:
(7) Elected members of the Committee will be elected by Council at a Council meeting.
(8) The ex-officio members (Chancellor, Deputy Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor and Chair of Academic Board) will be Committee members whilst they hold their primary office.
(9) The Lay Council members will be Committee members for two years or such other time as determined by Council, or until they cease to be a Council member, whichever occurs first.
(10) The co-opted external members (if applicable) will be Committee members for two years or such other time as determined by Council, or until they resign or are removed by Council, whichever occurs first.
(11) The co-opted Council members (if applicable) will be Committee members for two years or such other time as determined by Council, or until they cease to be a Council member, whichever occurs first.
(12) The Committee will elect the Chair from its Lay members. The Chair will hold office for the remainder of his/her term on the Committee, or until removed by the Committee, whichever occurs first. If the Chair is unavailable to act as Chair for any period then the Committee will elect a temporary Chair to act during that period.
(13) The objective will be to ensure, so far as is practicable, that the membership of the Committee includes the following gender representation:
(14) The functions of the Committee are as follows:
(15) This committee has delegated authority from the UNE Council to perform on behalf of Council the advisory and monitoring functions set out in the terms of reference above and all matters ancillary to those functions.
(16) The Chair of the Committee will report to Council regularly on the business conducted by the Committee.
(17) The Committee will meet three times per year, or otherwise as required in order to perform its functions. Committee members should be given at least seven days' notice of meeting, or such shorter notice period as is practicable where the matter is urgent.
(18) Unless the Chair directs otherwise, Committee business papers will be distributed to Committee members and official attendees, at least seven days prior to the meeting, or such shorter period as is practicable in the circumstances. Business papers must be treated confidentially by recipients. Any external disclosure of business papers should be made via the University Secretary.
(19) A quorum shall consist of a simple majority of the members of the Committee at the time the meeting is held.
(20) For its business papers, meetings and otherwise to conduct its business the Committee and its members may use technology including telephone, video-conferencing, telepresence, email and internet as arranged by the Chair and/or University Secretary.
(21) The Committee may pass a resolution by "flying minute" provided that the resolution has been approved by a simple majority of the Committee members at the time the resolution is made.
(22) Draft minutes will normally be circulated to members for comment promptly after each meeting. The minutes (with any necessary changes) will be circulated for adoption by the Committee. The minutes will be finalised and adopted when they have been approved by a majority of the members present at the relevant meeting. Alternatively, the minutes may be included in the business papers for the next Committee meeting and considered/adopted by the Committee at that meeting.
(23) Once every twelve-month period, the Committee shall devote at least one part of one meeting to the review of its policies, practices and procedures over the preceding 12 months.
(24) The University Secretary and/or nominee will act as secretary and provide administrative support to the Committee.
(25) To the extent of any inconsistencies between these Terms of Reference and the Council's Standing Orders, these Terms of Reference prevail.
(26) Words and phrases used in this document have the following meanings, unless the context requires otherwise:
(27) This document should be interpreted using the following principles:
however it operates as a delegation of certain authorities that have been retained by Council.