(1) HDR Candidates at the University of New England are required to complete HDR Progress Reports every six months, as specified under the respective HDR Course Rules.
(2) The Unsatisfactory HDR Progress Report Procedures outlines the procedure to be followed when an HDR Candidate submits an unsatisfactory HDR Progress Report.
(3) These procedures apply to all HDR candidates enrolled at the University of New England.
(4) The conclusion that an HDR Candidate is making unsatisfactory academic progress may be based on the HDR Progress Report submitted by the candidate, that submitted by their Principal Supervisor, or upon the candidate's failure to submit an HDR Progress Report.
(5) The decision that a candidate has submitted an unsatisfactory progress report will normally be made by the candidate's School, usually by the School HDR Coordinator, after consultation with the Principal Supervisor and the Head of School.
(6) An unsatisfactory HDR Progress Report would usually demonstrate evidence of, but not be limited to, one or more of the following:
(7) At the conclusion of each HDR Progress Reporting round, Research Services will provide the HDR Coordinator of each School with an HDR Progress Report, from which they will be able to identify unsatisfactory progress reports.
(8) Where an HDR Candidate has submitted one unsatisfactory HDR Progress report, the HDR Coordinator should undertake one of the following actions:
(9) Where the HDR Candidate returns a second unsatisfactory progress report the HDR Coordinator will forward all such notifications to Research Services.
(10) Should the HDR Candidate return a third unsatisfactory HDR Progress Report, the HDR Candidate will be asked to show cause as to why their candidature should be continued under the UNE Show Cause Policy and Procedures.
(11) University Representatives and Students must observe these Procedures in relation to University matters.
(12) These Procedures operates as and from the Effective Date.
(13) Previous HDR Progress Report Procedures and related documents are replaced and have no further operation from the Effective Date of this new Procedure.
(14) Effective Date means the day on which these Procedures are published or on such later day as may be specified in these Procedures.
(15) HDR Candidate means a Higher Degree Research student.
(16) HDR Progress Report refers to the bi-annual academic progress report required from each HDR Candidate for the term of their candidature.
(17) School means the UNE School where the HDR candidate is enrolled.
(18) School HDR Coordinator means the HDR Coordinator in the School where the HDR Candidate is enrolled.
(19) Student means an Admitted Student or an Enrolled Student, at the relevant time.
(20) University Representative means a University employee (casual, fixed term and permanent), contractor, agent, appointee, UNE Council member, adjunct, visiting academic and any other person engaged by the University to undertake some activity for or on behalf of the University. It includes corporations and other bodies falling into one or more of these categories.