(1) The Standing Committee is established as a Committee of Council, and the Committee is delegated a number of Council functions in relation to urgent Council matters at the University.
(2) The establishment of this Committee and the delegation of Council powers to it are actions authorised under Section 17 of the UNE Act. The provisions of this document take effect as a Council Rule made under Section 29 of the UNE Act.
(3) The members of the Committee are as follows:
(4) University Secretary and/or nominee
(5) Any other person invited by the Chair
(6) The ex-officio members (Chancellor, Deputy Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor, Chair of Academic Board, Chair of Audit and Risk Committee, Chair of the Finance and Infrastructure Committee and the elected Student Member) will be Committee members whilst they hold their primary office.
(7) The co-opted Council members (if applicable) will be Committee members for two years or such other time as determined by Council, or until they cease to be a Council member, whichever occurs first.
(8) The Chancellor will act as Chair. If the Chancellor is unavailable to act as Chair then the Deputy Chancellor will act as Chair. If the Deputy Chancellor is unavailable to act as Chair then the Committee will elect a Chair to act during the period the Chancellor and Deputy Chancellor are unavailable.
(9) The objective will be to ensure, so far as is practicable, that the membership of the Committee includes the following gender representation:
(10) The functions of the Committee are as follows:
(11) Not applicable.
(12) This committee has delegated authority from the UNE Council to perform on behalf of Council the approval, advice and monitoring functions set out in the terms of reference above and all matters ancillary to those functions.
(13) The Chair of the Committee will report to Council regularly on the business conducted by the Committee.
(14) The Committee will meet on an ad-hoc basis and is expected to use technology and "flying minutes" to attend to urgent matters. Committee members are expected to be available on short notice, however should be given as much notice as is practicable in the circumstances of matters arising.
(15) Committee business papers, or "flying minutes" and explanatory documents accompanying them, will be distributed to Committee members as required and with as much notice as is practicable in the circumstances. Business papers must be treated confidentially by recipients. Any lawfully required disclosure of business papers should be made via the University Secretary.
(16) A quorum shall consist of a simple majority of the members of the Committee at the time the meeting is held.
(17) For its business papers, meetings and otherwise to conduct its business the Committee and its members may use technology including telephone, video-conferencing, telepresence, email and internet as arranged by the Chair and/or University Secretary.
(18) The Committee may pass a resolution by "flying minute" provided that the resolution has been approved by a simple majority of the Committee members at the time the resolution is made.
(19) Draft minutes will normally be circulated to members for comment promptly after each meeting. Next the minutes (with any necessary changes) will be circulated for adoption by the Committee. The minutes will be finalised and adopted when they have been approved by a majority of the members present at the relevant meeting. Alternatively, the minutes may be included in the business papers for the next Committee meeting and considered/adopted by the Committee at that meeting.
(20) The University Secretary and/or nominee will act as secretary and provide administrative support to the Committee.
(21) Words and phrases used in this document have the following meanings, unless the context requires otherwise:
(22) This document should be interpreted using the following principles: