(1) The University Academic Program Committee is established as a University Committee and is authorised to discharge some of the functions of Council.
(2) These Terms of Reference for the University Academic Program Committee prescribe the following:
(3) The establishment of this committee and the delegation of powers to it are actions authorised under Section 17 of the UNE Act. The provisions of these Terms of Reference take effect as a Council Rule made under Section 29 of the UNE Act.
(4) The University Academic Program Committee functions as an academic governance and management advisory body to:
(5) The members of the University Academic Program Committee are as follows:
(6) The University Academic Program Committee can co-opt members in order to achieve or maintain gender balance, where the membership does not include at least two women and two men. At the discretion of the Chair, the committee can also invite individuals as observers to attend regular or individual meetings, provide appropriate expertise as necessary and contribute to discussion but not to vote.
(7) Appointed members of the University Academic Program Committee are appointed when a vacancy occurs. The term of an appointed member's tenure on the committee is two years.
(8) Appointment of members will be made as per these Terms of Reference and the committee's Standing Orders.
(9) An appointed position becomes vacant automatically if:
(10) An ex officio member of University Academic Program Committee includes a person who has been appointed on an 'acting' basis to the role.
(11) The ex officio members will be University Academic Program Committee members while they hold their primary office.
(12) The term of office of an appointed member is two years. Appointed members may stand for re-appointment.
(13) The University Academic Program Committee will be chaired by the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Academic) or their nominee.
(14) Gender representation shall accord with the Gender Representation on Decision-Making and Advisory Committees Policy.
(15) The functions of the University Academic Program Committee are to approve, advise and make recommendations about the University's coursework awards to Academic Board, related to the following:
(16) Approval functions:
(17) Monitoring functions:
(18) Advisory functions:
(19) Communication functions:
(20) The University Academic Program Committee is authorised to seek data and information from the University through the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Academic) to meet the University Academic Program Committee's duties and functions.
(21) The University Academic Program Committee has delegated authority from the UNE Council to perform the approval, advisory, monitoring and communication functions set out in the terms of reference above and all matters ancillary to those functions.
(22) The Chair of the University Academic Program Committee reports to the Vice-Chancellor on operational and management matters.
(23) The Chair of the University Academic Program Committee reports to the Academic Board on matters that fall within the Academic Board's functions.
(24) The University Academic Program Committee will meet at least eight times per year or otherwise as required, in order to perform its functions.
(25) Unless the Chair directs otherwise, University Academic Program Committee business papers will be distributed to members and official attendees, at least seven days prior to the meeting, or such shorter period as is practicable in the circumstances.
(26) Public disclosure of business papers, minutes and other information received by the committee should be made via the Chair or Secretary to the committee.
(27) At any meeting of the committee, one half of the voting membership plus one constitutes a quorum.
(28) For its business papers, meetings and otherwise to conduct its business, the University Academic Program Committee and its members may use technology including telephone, video-conferencing, telepresence, email and internet as arranged by the Chair and/or Secretary to the committee.
(29) The University Academic Program Committee may pass a resolution by 'flying minute' provided that the resolution has been approved by a simple majority of committee members at the time the resolution is made.
(30) Draft minutes will normally be circulated to members for comment promptly after each meeting. Next the minutes (with any necessary changes) will be circulated for adoption by the University Academic Program Committee. The minutes will be finalised and adopted when they have been approved by a majority of the members that were present at the relevant meeting. Alternatively, the minutes may be included in the business papers for the next committee meeting and considered and adopted by the committee at that meeting.
(31) Once in every twelve-month period, the University Academic Program Committee shall devote at least a part of one meeting to the review of its policies, practices and procedures over the preceding twelve months.
(32) Information Services (Student Administration and Services) will provide secretarial and administrative support to the University Academic Program Committee.
(33) The Committee may make standing orders relating to the way it conducts its meetings and business generally. To the extent of any inconsistencies between these Terms of Reference and the Standing Orders, these Terms of Reference prevail.
(34) Words and phrases used in this document have the following meanings, unless the context requires otherwise:
(35) This document should be interpreted using the following principles:
(36) The existing terms of reference, constitution and any other documents governing the Academic Programs Committee at the time these new Terms of Reference are approved are replaced and have no further operation.