(1) UNE and its overseas exchange partners will encourage and simplify the exchange of students between trusted parties by accepting, for admission purposes, statements of language proficiency certified by academic staff members of the students' home institutions.
(2) Approved exchange students who will be receiving instruction overseas in a language that is
(3) UNE and its exchange partners wish to encourage and facilitate the mobility of students through exchange programs and to simply the process if possible.
(4) UNE and its exchange partners have a duty of care to ensure that exchange students have achieved sufficient proficiency in the language in which they will be receiving instruction during their exchange program and/or as required by the host institution.
(5) Exchange students are enrolled as non-award / visiting students (or similar) and are not admitted to university courses or eligible for awards from the host institution.
(6) It is recognised that formal language testing can be difficult to arrange due to the time frames for applying to exchange programs and the poor accessibility of formal testing in some countries.
(7) In addition to meeting any other requirements for participation in an exchange programme at UNE, or one of its overseas exchange partners, at least one of the following criteria must be met to demonstrate the language proficiency of applicants:
(8) A Statement of Language Proficiency for Exchange Students is signed by an academic staff member of the home institution certifying that the nominated student's proficiency meets the requirements of the host institution. The form will be forwarded to the host institution as part of the formal exchange application process.
(9) Other evidence of language proficiency is submitted to comply with formal language admission policies of the host institution.
(10) Relevant instruction at the host institution will be offered in the exchange student's native language.
(11) Proposals for variations to the policy must be set out in writing and approved by the International Committee, through the vehicle of the Exchange Committee.
(12) Approved variations will be added as appendices to this policy and will be forwarded to the International Office or other primary contact staff at each of the exchange partner institutions.