(1) These Procedures provide guidance on the application of the University of New England (UNE) Honorary Titles and Awards Rule, for Honorary, Adjunct and Visiting Appointments.
(2) The following criteria apply for Honorary, Adjunct and Visiting Appointments:
(3) Overseas appointees to the University who do not hold an Australian passport and are required to visit UNE for the purposes of their honorary appointment are personally responsible for obtaining and maintaining a valid entry permit (visa). See Honorary, Adjunct and Visiting Appointments website for details.
(4) Human Resource Services Directorate will check offers of employment against current honorary appointments.
(5) Upon approval from the delegate authority, Human Resource Services Directorate are responsible for notifying Adjunct, Clinical, Honorary Associates and Visiting Academic appointees of their appointment, in writing. The Director, Human Resource Services, or nominee, signs all letters of confirmation.
(6) Approvers may request additional information clarifying and supporting the case for appointment.
(7) A recommendation for appointment must be submitted to the Head of School (HoS) by completing a Nomination Form which will include:
(8) The proposed candidate's curriculum vitae will also be provided to the HoS for initial appointments.
Adjunct Lecturer, Adjunct Lecturer and Adjunct Senior Lecturer and Honorary Associates appointments
(9) In making a determination, the relevant HoS will ensure:
Adjunct Associate Professor and Adjunct Professor appointments
(10) All proposals for appointments at Level D and E must be recommended by the HoS before being submitted for approval by the Provost and Deputy Vice-Chancellor or nominee.
(11) The relevant HoS will ensure:
(12) The HoS will endorse the application and forward to the Provost and Deputy Vice-Chancellor for approval.
(13) Where the appointment is not from an existing level held elsewhere, or formerly at UNE, the Provost and Deputy Vice-Chancellor or nominee may consult with the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Academic) and/or the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research) to make a determination, based on the candidate's degree of distinction and benefits which will accrue to UNE.
(14) A recommendation for appointment must be submitted to the HoS by completing a Visiting Nomination Form which will include:
(15) The proposed candidate's curriculum vitae will also be provided to the HoS.
(16) In making a determination, the relevant HoS will ensure there is no conflict of interest between the candidate's work outside the University or employment within the University and the candidate's proposed contribution to the activities of the School
(17) Human Resource Services Directorate will advise the HoS when an appointment is due to expire, on a quarterly basis.
(18) Renewal of an appointment is by application only and must be made prior to the expiration of the current term of appointment.
(19) Approval of a renewal will be based on an objective assessment of the appointee's contribution to the University in the context of the purpose of the appointment.
(20) Approval delegation authorities are as per initial appointments
(21) Where an application is not endorsed/approved at the HoS level, there will be no further action.
(22) The School will advise the candidate in writing of the unsuccessful outcome.
(23) Where an application is not approved by the Provost and Deputy Vice-Chancellor, there will be no further action. The Provost and Deputy Vice-Chancellor will inform the School of the unsuccessful outcome and in turn communicate this to candidates who have been endorsed by the HoS.
(24) All initial and renewed appointees must sign the letter of confirmation, accepting the conditions of appointment, and return it with other relevant paperwork to Human Resource Services Directorate.
(25) Honorary appointments that are not renewed will automatically expire at the end of the term. If the appointee wishes to have the appointment renewed then it is the responsibility of the appointee to apply for renewal of the appointment. Applications for renewal should usually be made at least one month prior to the expiry date.
(26) If the candidate is not successful in their application, there is no right of appeal.
(27) The Procedure Administrator, pursuant to the University's Honorary Titles and Awards Rule, makes these procedures.
(28) University Representatives must observe these Procedures in relation to University matters.
(29) These Procedures operate as and from the Effective Date.
(30) Previous Procedures relating to Honorary, Adjunct and Visiting Appointments are replaced and have no further operation from the Effective Date of this new Procedure.
(31) Effective Date means - takes effect on the day on which it is published or on such later day as may be specified in the procedure.
(32) University Representative means a University employee (casual, fixed term and permanent) contractor, agent, appointee, UNE Council member, adjunct, visiting academic and any other person engaged by the University to undertake some activity for or on behalf of the University. It includes corporations and other bodies falling into one or more of these categories.
(33) Head of School means Director of Centre, Head of Cost Centre, or equivalent.
(34) Provost and Deputy Vice-Chancellor means the DVC or nominee.
(35) Schools, means a School and other organisational unit such as Oorala, Teaching and Learning Support (TaLS) and UNE Research Centre.