(1) This procedure outlines the conditions of use of the University of New England (UNE)'s email service. This service is provided to University Representatives, Students and Approved Affiliates to support teaching, learning, research and administrative activities.
(2) This procedure applies to University Representatives, Students and Approved Affiliates.
(3) Email accounts are available to all staff members, students and approved affiliates of UNE.
(4) Staff members, students and approved affiliates with an email account will be assigned a mailbox on UNE's mail server. Current quota limits apply to the mailbox, as defined and published by UNE's Information Technology Directorate.
(5) Affiliate account email addresses will be assigned based upon the category of registration, i.e. approved student affiliates will be assigned a student email address, approved staff affiliates will be assigned a staff email address and may request an email alias as detailed in (7).
(6) Unless access to an account holder's mailbox is required by law, the express written permission of the account holder is required before access to their mailbox is provided to another person/s. The approval from the account holder needs to demonstrate an understanding that the person/s who will view the mailbox will see all emails in the account regardless of whether or not they are work related.
(7) ITD requires written authorisation from the account holder to redirect emails to another mailbox in the account holder's absence. The approval from the account holder needs to demonstrate an understanding that the recipient/s of the redirected emails will see all emails sent regardless of whether or not they are work related.
(8) Where there is a need for a redirect and the account holder is not able or not willing to provide authorisation, ITD will set up an auto-reply message on the account to inform senders of a new email address for UNE-related matters.
(9) Each individual user's mailbox name will be the same as the account name that is assigned by the User Registration System (URS).
The default email address for staff and staff affiliates will be firstname.lastname@example.org. The default email address for students and student affiliates will be email@example.com. Account names are unique and will not be recycled or re-used at UNE.
(10) A staff member may request a unique email alias in the format firstname.lastname@example.org. Other names that do not clearly identify the account holder and are not related to the user's official name are not permitted. Email alias names can only be re-used if they have been inactive for 7-years or more.
(11) No email aliases will be created for student accounts.
(12) Where email is to be received by a position and not an individual e.g. Dean of Faculty, Security, Maintenance, etc., a position specific email alias may be created (e.g. email@example.com). A position specific email alias may redirect to one or more email addresses and may be changed with the approval of the head of cost centre or area manager as required to accommodate changes to staff.
(13) Where email is to be received, monitored and sent by a group from a common email address, a shared mailbox may be created with the approval of the head of cost centre or area manager. A shared mailbox allows a specific group of users to "Send As" or "Send on Behalf of" the shared mailbox's email address. Users can be added or removed from a shared mailbox with the approval of the head of cost-centre or relevant area manager.
(14) Users of UNE's email service must comply with the UNE's Rules for the Use of Information and Communication Facilities and Services and other relevant policies and procedures.
(15) Users of UNE's email service must read and follow the "UNE Email Guidelines" published and updated by ITD.
(16) Emails should be regarded as insecure unless they are encrypted or encoded for transmission. It is the user's responsibility to ensure that sensitive information such as credit card details are transmitted in a secure manner.
(17) Users of UNE's email service, and ITD as the provider of the email service will comply with the Privacy and Surveillance rules as defined in UNE's Rules for the Use of Information and Communication Facilities and Services.
(18) The Procedure Administrator makes these procedures.
(19) University Representatives, Students and Approved Affiliates must observe these Procedures in relation to University matters.
(20) These Procedures operate as and from the Effective Date.
(21) Previous Procedures relating to Email Operating Procedures are replaced and have no further operation from the Effective Date of this new Procedure.
(22) Account Holder means a member of the UNE Community who has registered for a UNE computer account.
(23) Approved Affiliate means staff or students from another educational institution or guest.
(24) Effective Date is the date on which this Rule will take effect.
(25) Email means electronic mail.
(26) Official name means the name recorded on the UNE human resources management system, the UNE student information system or fully executed contract.
(27) Student means an Admitted Student or an Enrolled Student, at the relevant time.
(28) Procedure Administrator is the Director of Information Technology.
(29) User Registration System (URS) means the application used to create and maintain user accounts on ITD controlled UNE systems.
(30) University Representative means a University employee (casual, fixed term and permanent) contractor, agent, appointee, UNE Council member, adjunct, visiting academic and any other person engaged by the University to undertake some activity for or on behalf of the University. It includes corporations and other bodies falling into one or more of these categories.